Ainsworth is named for Captain James E. Ainsworth.  Captain Ainsworth was the chief construction engineer of the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad. He arrived at the town site in June 1882. 160 acres of free land was claimed under certain provisions that improvements be made specified by the government. Ainsworth was platted in 1883 and was incorporated as a village in December 1883.


Elevation: 2,588 feet

Location: Latitude 42.55 N, longitude: 99.86222 W

Population: 1,729

Etnicity: White Non-Hispanic 98%; Other race 2 %

County: Brown; population 3,354

City Operation:

Fire Protection: 36 volunteer

Fire Insurance Class 6

Police Protection: 4


©2019 by Chamber of Commerce. Proudly created with